The Groundskeeper is responsible for maintaining safe and attractive campus grounds by working with volunteers and contractors to care for lawns, plants, parking lots, playgrounds, patios, outdoor furniture, and storm water ponds.
• Conducts soil analysis, at least annually, and uses the results to improve the condition of soil.
• Maintains healthy lawns through a scheduled program that includes seeding, watering, fertilization, mowing, weed control, aeration, and dethatching.
• Cares for trees and shrubs through regular inspection and treatment for insects, disease, and weather damage, fertilization to ensure vigorous growth, mulching for protection, and trimming as necessary for appearance and health.
• Keeps all ground cover plantings lush, weed-free and trimmed, as needed.
• Maintains attractive flower beds through appropriate design, choice of plant materials, proper planting, fertilization, mulching, and removal of weeds.
• Divides perennials such as daylilies, hostas and irises on a regular basis to keep them healthy and blooming. • Removes and replaces dying or dead trees, shrubs, perennials, and annuals.
• Removes and disposes of leaves, litter, debris, dirt, and gum on parking lots, playgrounds, and walkways. • Provides for snow and ice removal as required to provide for driver and pedestrian safety.
• Maintains all paved areas, re-sanding brick pavers, cleaning and sealing parking lots and stamped concrete, and properly caring for engraved pavers of varying sizes.
• Ensures parking lots are clearly stripped and parking signs are in good condition.• Ensures playground mulch is kept at the required depth to protect children during falls.
• Ensures storm water ponds are maintained as required by the County of Henrico.• Regularly inspects all grounds maintenance equipment and provides for preventive maintenance and necessary repairs.
• Provides for installation, maintenance, and repair of lawn sprinkler systems.
• Assembles, cleans, and repairs outside furniture and playground equipment.
• Provides for the installation and rotation of outdoor yard and light pole banners.
• Informs supervisor of trip and fall hazards and of the conditions of parking lots and walkways following adverse weather.
• Coordinates seasonal projects for volunteers, providing direction and supplies, and supervising the work. • May be asked to teach classes related to the work performed.
• Provides budget input to supervisor.• Performs other related duties, as assigned, some of which may be in other areas of Facilities and Fleet services.
• High school diploma or GED required.
• Three or more years of work experience as a groundskeeper.
• Preferred completion of trade school program or certification in or related to horticulture, landscaping, and/or turf management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, OR ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of professional landscape design and maintenance principles, practices, and procedures.
• Knowledge of proper planting and pruning techniques for trees, shrubs, and other plant materials.
• Knowledge of fertilizers, insecticides, and herbicides and how to properly use them.
• Skilled in safely using grounds maintenance equipment including, but not limited to, lawn mowers, grass and hedge trimmers, lawn aerators, leaf and snow blowers, hand tools, sprinkler systems and power washing equipment.
• Ability to read and follow instructions to correctly assemble and maintain outdoor furniture, fixtures, and equipment.
• Takes initiative, identifying work that needs to be done and issues to be reported.
• Ability to work well independently and with groups of volunteers.
• Ability to report in to work during or immediately following adverse weather to inspect campus grounds, inform supervisor of the condition, make recommendations and remedy problems.
• Ability to work occasional weekends and extended periods of time.• Ability to safely operate golf carts and drive vehicles with trailer hitch. • Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
• Work primarily outside and around moving objects or vehicles.
• Continual walking, standing, climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling, reaching, heavy lifting and carrying.
• Ability to stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to lift 50 pounds.
• Walking on uneven ground when outdoors.
• Periodic work at heights up to 16 feet on ladders.
• Exposure to various temperatures and weather conditions when outdoors; noise and vibration from power equipment; blowing dirt and flying debris from winds and use of grass trimming equipment; fumes from gas-powered equipment and pesticides; water and grease when cleaning equipment; and heat/smells from asphalt material.
• Wear respirator, googles, gloves, ear plugs, and other protective equipment as necessary to safely perform job.
• May be required to maneuver into awkward positions.
• Use the following equipment: lawn mowers, grass, hedge and tree trimmers, leaf and snow blowers, power washing equipment, hand tools, lawn aerators, sprayers, and striping machine.
Resumes can also be sent for review to email@example.com